Saturday, March 1, 2008

Exciting news from the front line!

This week was a bit of a glorious one for me personally. I have been quite unhappy at work for awhile now. I generally enjoy the work, however my days at work have been riddled by plague in the form of a man. He goes by bill, I call him lost always. 

He was our shop manager, and generally he was not a bad person, he has a daughter and seems like quite a good father to her. As far as being the shop manager it was the worst decision ever. He refused to work on anything while he was at work which immediately made him lose some points in my book. The fact he would come over and pull me off a high dollar, deadlined project, to move a car would fire me up more then anything. Mind you this is someone that does nothing but distribute work, thats it, he could easily jump in a car and move it himself but no he didn't. I never really understood how they could bring in someone who knew nothing about cars, was scared to approach us with problems, and had no organizational skills to speak of.

My anger started awhile ago, I had a 5 am call time to downtown Los Angeles. I arrive at the shop at 3 am to pick up a car, he had made a phone call to me and stated the car would be by the bay door and all ready to go, sounds great right? Well I get the work and the interior plastics are laying on the floor of the car and the seat belts are not installed, the headliner is even hanging down a bit. I put the car back together and fly down to LA and somehow made it one time. The next day when I came in to pick up another car I gave him to holy grail of ass chewings. I was so irate I could barely contain myself from choking him. Well here we go again I am picking up another car to go back to LA and guess what? Won't start, doesn't run! Come one give me a break here, I totally lose it and pull him into his office and start going off to which my glorious boss says nothing except... go for it, chew him out.

Since then there has been endless amounts of screw ups and downfalls on the shop managers behalf. So naturally being the level headed person I am I started on a little project I call Operation Extermination, since it was quite apparent to me he would not be fired I decided to make him quite.

I started slowly and gradually stepped it up in small notches until when I looked into his eyes all I saw was agony like today was the hardest day of his life. I pointed out everything he did wrong and what a complete waste of time and space he was. I pointed out I had not had work orders in months. Other things such as, how he is a complete dipshit and just wonders around all day making a noise that sounds like a sea lion with down syndrome. I terrorized him until I could almost see tears then really layed into him after that. I would throw tools and tell him to go try to bang the secretary some more, man she was a real pain in the ass too. 

The problem here is at work we are together for sometimes 16 to 19 hours a day, sometimes for a week, the people that work with me, we are friends, we vent, hear about relationship problems or new engagements, We are friends, sincerely friends. One guy was my room mate, another a friend from high school who's wedding I am going to be in soon, another a favorite drinking friend, another a kid I took under my wing and try to teach as much as I can too.. Fine job he is doing as well. Point is... We have fun at work, we tell jokes, we talk crap on each other all day but, gradually, this stopped. I found it tragic really, work moral was at a all time low, I tried bringing donuts to no resolve, donuts usually fix everything. 

This my friends, is why I had to terrorize the sea lion. He came in monday morning, phone in hand, with his little set of keys and put them on the boss desk and turned in his two weeks, here is yet another reason I do like my boss, he says... just leave. Perfect! 

Well this week the radio was back on and poppin' we had a lil stomp the yard crunk contest, tore down every worthless memo in the break room in a moment of glorious triumph. Things are good again friends. The glory days are here again.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Brilliant! I'm proud of you, my little Lech Walesa.....
SOLIDARITY!!!!!!!!!!!